While sunshine is not often something we have a shortage of here in California, that isn’t necessarily a guarantee that it will find its way into every room in your home. You might have an area in the back that gets very little natural light, or a finished basement that has such awesome potential as a family room, but it just feels a little dark.
So, what options do you have?
How Do You Make a Dark Room Bright?
The obvious answer is to add windows, but we understand that the obvious answer isn’t always the right answer. Your home might be a rental (and landlords tend to frown on surprise construction projects), or if the space that needs brightening is in a basement, the architecture can limit what windows are possible to use.
With interior painting and design strategies in mind, here are a few ideas you might consider:
- Choose Lighting Carefully – Believe it or not, a single over-head actually is not always the best option. They tend to create a pool of light in the center of the room, making the outside edges feel even darker. Try track lighting! The benefit is that you can aim them in different directions, putting the light exactly where you need it.
- Use Light Colors – Avoid dark paint colors that soak up the light. And, keep in mind that even if a certain color doesn’t look too dark in the paint store, it will appear significantly darker when applied in a room without natural light. At the same time, however, white is not a great option either because it can quickly feel stark. Try lighter, natural colors for a warm but bright effect.
- Strategic Decorations – Depending on the style you’re going for, see if you can work in decorations that are reflective. Bouncing what light you do have around your room creates the illusion of it being a brighter, larger space.
- Fake a Window – You can create a really cool design piece by finding an old window that is preferably either stained glass or frosted. Wire LED lights behind it, then mount it on the wall. It creates the illusion of a bright window and looks awesome.
- Back to Nature – Believe it or not, simply including a live plant in your decorations will make your room feel brighter. Give it a try!
Do You Need a Professional Painting Company?
If you have any other interior (or exterior!) painting questions, we hope you won’t hesitate to contact us at New Life Painting. We proudly provide painting services to Avila Beach, and elsewhere throughout the Central Coast, and would love the opportunity to help you with your next project!