Fresh paint colors are by far the least expensive investment you can make in your home. Taking time to choose the right paint colors, hire a house painter, and have the paint job completed are worth the effort. After the work is done, you will probably be left with some leftover paint. You may be tempted to get rid of that paint, but it can be very useful for touch-ups and other fun projects around the house if you store it properly.
Here are some tips on proper storage and proper disposal of paint:
Why should you keep leftover paint?
- No matter how hard you try, your walls will eventually need a touchup or two. If you have children, a toy will collide with that wall sooner or later. It may leave a mark that only a fresh spot of paint can fix. If you ever move furniture or rehang artwork, it will be necessary to fill in holes and cover it with a little paint.
- Even if touch-ups are few and far between, leftover paint can be used for other projects. You can use house paint on canvas for some custom artwork or even to paint furniture.
- You already paid for it, so might as well use it!
How should you store leftover paint?
- Paint should be stored with very little air in the can.
- Clean the rim of the lid of your paint can to ensure that the lid will go back on tightly.
- Place a layer of plastic rim between the can and the lid.
- Use a rubber mallet when closing the can. A regular hammer can damage the lid, but a rubber mallet will seal it tightly.
- Store the can upside down. This helps with the amount of air in the can by allowing the paint to create a seal against the lid.
Where should you store leftover paint?
- It is important that paint is stored away from sunlight and in an area that will not get below freezing.
- A basement is an ideal place. If you do not have a basement, a closet or a small storage unit will work fine.
- Be sure paints are out of reach of children.
How should you properly dispose of unwanted paint?
- First, if your paint is still in usable condition, ask friends and neighbors if they would like to use it for their own projects.
- Many cities have recycling available for old paints. This is the best way to get rid of your paints in an eco-friendly way.
When you are ready to get started on painting your home in Solvang, CA, New Life Painting is ready to help you choose colors, complete your paint job, and guide you in proper paint storage. Call today to find out more.